To be eligible for a TRI Endowment Fellowship,
Students must be:
- Master’s or Doctoral students at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies or a joint program with F&ES
- or Yale College undergraduates with prior approval from an academic advisor
- Enrolled at the time of application and for at least one semester following the fellowship period
Proposed projects must be:
- Independent research (primarily student-directed and incorporate original data; not an internship)
- Located in a tropical country (some or all of its borders fall between 23.4 degrees North and South latitude)
- 8-12 weeks in length
- Coordinated with a local in-country partner (see existing TRI partnerships)
Approved by an F&ES faculty member/advisor
Projects will not be considered that do not meet these minimum requirements.
- Applications from previous Fellows will be considered with priority given to first-time applicants.
- Applicants must demonstrate language competency for international research. Proposals by students without such competency are usually unsuccessful. Any necessary language course work, especially by Master’s students, must typically start in the FALL semester of their first year.
- Undergraduate applicants may be subject to travel restrictions for security reasons. See the Yale CIPE Travel Policy.
- Course selection during this same FALL semester should be designed insofar as curriculum guidelines permit to focus on courses that will give the student the necessary theoretical and conceptual underpinnings to write coherent, focused, topical research proposals by early in the SPRING semester.
- By the start of the SPRING semester, prospective applicants should also be working to obtain Human Subjects Committee approval, or waivers, for their research from the Institutional Review Board. See the following two pages for more information: Getting Started and IRES-IRB.
- Applicants are expected to apply for matching funds from other sources at Yale and will be marked down if they do not. A list of some funding sources is available on the Other Funding Opportunities page as well as in the Students Grant Database.
Please contact the TRI office with any further questions regarding eligibility.